Volunteering is currently unavailable.
BAS has very few employees and relies heavily on volunteers from the community to take care of the shelters animals. Volunteers come from all walks of life, from school-age children to retired adults. They volunteer for as little as an occasional visit, to a few hours one day a week, to many hours multiple days a week! Volunteers are of course needed for hands on care of the animals and cleaning of their cages and surroundings, but many people to not realize that there are many other tasks at the shelter that desperately need to be done. Many of these jobs are somewhat removed from hands on animal care, but are just as important! They range from secretarial work, to minding the store, to manning informational booths, to helping with fundraising. Some things can be done from home, such as pgone calls and fostering, while other tasks will be done at the shelter. You may even specialize in an area that would be of great assistance to the shelter!
Here is a sampling of the things that you can do to help the shelter:
- Seasonal decorating
- Assisting with our SOS spay and neuter clinics
- Walking dogs
- Yard and grounds up-keep, weekly and or seasonal
- Cleaning cages
- Inside and outside maintenance
- Repairing pens, fences, and cages
- Fostering newborn, sick, injured, shy pets, or providing hospice care
- Manning the shelter’s store/ answering the phone
- Transporting pets
- Interacting, playing and socializing with pets
- Baking for sales and special events
- Follow up phone calls on pet adoptions
- Secretarial work, updating records, filing, copies, etc.
- Research, develop, and implement projects and programs
- Brushing and grooming the shelter pets
- Organizing events (ie:yard sales, holidays, fund-raisers)
- Coordinating Publicity
- Assisting with off-site adoption events
- Staffing booths at fund-raisers
….and so much more!
With so many duties at the shelter, we always welcome help in all areas. You might not even realize that your expertise could be something that would help the shelter. Suggestions are always welcome
Please contact our volunteer coordinator Christina Benjamin at 315-539-9357.
Thank you to Petco, Kim & Stacy for all you do for the shelter!!!